Sign-up for the weekly ALN blog

August 14, 2014



This client is a private, physician-owned orthopedic surgery practice located in the south-central region of the country. It has ten physicians and ten mid-level providers.


This practice was doing its billing in-house and was struggling with collections performance that was lower than was expected.

They had implemented Centricity with the assistance of a reseller, though the attempted EMR implementation did not succeed and was stopped and unwound. Centricity was also hosted in-house, but the environment was very unstable and operation of the system was dependent on a single staff person, creating a high level of risk for the practice.

The workflows of the practice were highly manual, resulting in an increase of staffing levels. Provider knowledge of coding and compliance was limited, also creating a level of risk.

ALN Solution

ALN began our relationship with this practice by taking over the revenue cycle management. We also immediately engaged to stabilize the existing hosting environment before moving it to ALN.

We then began a multi-wave second implementation of the Centricity EMR, which includes the integration of their data and workflow with the surgical hospital with which they are affiliated.


Within the first year, we helped the practice realize a 10% increase in payments on an increase of visits of only 4%. Total payments were up 14% in one year with no increase in physicians.

Focused feedback and education has helped the physicians improve their coding, both in terms of increased revenue capture and more compliant coding and documentation.

The Centricity hosting situation was stabilized and moved to the ALN environment, eliminating a high risk for the practice.

The EMR is being implemented in phases as to not disrupt a high volume practice. They successfully attested for Meaningful Use on a very tight schedule. Additionally, we developed a custom integration with their affiliated surgical hospital to automate the processing of orders and data sharing for surgical patients.

Tim Coan
Tim Coan

CEO and founder

Tim Coan, ALN’s CEO, writes an insightful and witty blog weekly about a variety of topics relevant to independent physician practices.